About Me

My photo
I'm a mid twenties girl. Who has the cutest two boys ever. I'm married to the best hubby ever (aka the Man). I'm also a teacher of sixth grade with a masters degree in Education. I'd rather be busy than bored. I love things bright and beautiful and my family means the world to me.

Monday, June 15, 2015

Summer reading!

I love our public library! I made a list throughout the year of books suggested by others or that I saw so that I could stock up. I have a line up for requested books and the first five were ready for pick up last week. 

First, The Glass Castle, this was a pretty quick read. I started it Wednesday evening and finished it throughout a long car ride Thursday. Jeannette Walls is a correspondent for MSNBC and the book is all about her crazy upbringing. Some of the stories are so crazy and hard to believe. Her family moved around a lot and saying they didn't have a lot is an understatement. It's hard to believe that she was able to achieve all that she has, but family is family and she shows an interesting take on why kids behave the way they do and continue to thrive.

Second, Columbine, Dave Cullen was a journalist that was one of the first to report on the high school tragedy. After years of research from all the compiled interviews, evidence, work with law enforcement, and more Cullen has shred more light on the situation and all the false reporting that occurred. This book pooped up on my suggested reading list and I intrigued. When I picked it up the Man was interested right away and it's become a book we read together. It's interesting to look at from my view point as a mom and teacher, while he reads it as a father and law enforcement point of view. There are so many procedures in schools today that came from this tragedy. While it's very tragic, the research and truth puts a different light on what really transpired.

Third, Eleanor and Park, Rainbow Rowell was suggested by an English teacher I work with. We were considering it briefly for a new novel in the tenth grade. While it didn't make that cut, I was interested in it. From what I've seen it's a teen love story and a modern day Romeo and Juliet but less death.

Fourth, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, by Ransom Riggs as been a book I've picked up a couple of times to read but never started. A student stopped me towards the end of the school year to ask if I've read it and was pretty crestfallen when I said no. Therefore, it must be good!

Meanwhile, Mr. Lemoncello's Library, by Chris Grabenstein was pointed out by the elementary reading interventionist. Tucker and I are going to read it together for fun.

Any recommendations?

No comments: