About Me

My photo
I'm a mid twenties girl. Who has the cutest two boys ever. I'm married to the best hubby ever (aka the Man). I'm also a teacher of sixth grade with a masters degree in Education. I'd rather be busy than bored. I love things bright and beautiful and my family means the world to me.

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Young Love

A cute little excerpt from a conversation I had yesterday.

Remember I teach sixth grade, so there's a lot of young love budding everyday. I had a student come inside during recess and ask to talk to me alone. I immediately think the worst. Some other student has done something, there's a problem at home, something major that would have her skip her sacred recess time to come talk to me on her own.

A little background on this student, she's super cute, a little loud, funny, a little spacey but overall very nice. She is a little chunky but it seems more like "baby love" that she hasn't grown out of. Such a sweetie, a total sixth grade catch if you ask me, but I'm just her teacher so I think that about most of my kids.

Anyways, she comes in pulls up a chair and says, "I need to know more about love. My mom isn't giving my what I need."

Me: "Okay, do you want a hug? I don't think I can tell you I love you everyday, but you I care about you."

Student: "Um, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about real love. Dreamy boyfriend, I can't stop staring at him love. He's the cutest boy in sixth grade, I really love him. "

Me: "Oh, student! Isn't that the best kind of love? It really is. But I hate to tell you that right now, what it really is, is a crush."

Student: "No, no it's not. That's what my mom says. I really care, I care how he does at football. I like to talk about his family, what he had for dinner. Yesterday I even asked about his snake. I HATE snakes."

Me: "Okay, I'm going to be blunt for times sake. You're in sixth grade, you think its love. It feels like love. But really, you just really like him. You'd like him to be more than a friend right?"

Student: "Yep, but I'm thinking he just wants to be friends. Stupid boy."

Me: "Um, no calling other people stupid. But at this age friends are best. Wait for love, it'll come. who knows, maybe you'll be best friends through middle school and then in high school he'll fall head over heels for ya."

Student: "Did that happen to you and your husband?"

Me: "Nope, I met him during college. I had crushes in school a couple boyfriends in high school but nothing serious and for sure it wasn't love. I didn't know that then, but I know now. It's worth waiting for, you know. "

Student: "Well if (the guy) doesn't want me now. I'm moving on, I'm done asking questions about snakes, who likes them anyway? Stupid boys. Thanks! See ya."

And she was gone. I laughed aloud after this one. I remember being so "crazy in love" when I was younger. Did you have one of those crushes? where you think you'll never survive without seeing them or talking to them that day? So funny how life works out.

No comments: